Places of interest:

Haifa University

Technion Israel Institute of Technology

Haifa Cablecar

Bahai Shrine

Stella Maris

Elijah’s cave


Theaters & Cultural centers


Shopping centers

Tourist information

Places of interest in the Neighborhood:

Acre (Akko)

Carmel park

Druze villages

Ein Hod artists village

Nahal Hamearot - caves of prehistoric man

Rosh Hanikra

Zichron Yaacov

Israel's major port and an important center of industry and commerce, Haifa spreads over the slopes of Mt. Carmel, which commands a breathtaking view of the city and the bay. Haifa has approximately. 250,000 inhabitants.

The city is divided into four major areas. The lower city area - the port is situated here as well as residential neighborhoods and beaches.

The bay area - the industrial zone is concentrated here.

Hadar Hacarmel area - the older neighborhoods, commercial center and offices are located here.

Mt. Carmel area - residential and newer neighborhoods are located here, as well as the city’s entertainment, cultural and tourist centers.

Although it does not appear in the Bible, Haifa is mentioned in Talmudic literature as a well-established Jewish community. Relics found within the city limits date from the Stone Age to the Ottoman period. During the Middle Ages, the Jewish settlement in Haifa grew into a shipping center. In the 12th century, the city was conquered by the Crusaders, in 1265 it fell to the Mamelukes, and in 1750 was captured by the Bedouin, Dahar al-Omar, who destroyed, then rebuilt and fortified it. From 1775 until World War I Haifa was under Turkish control with two interruptions - in 1799 it was conquered by Napoleon and from 1831-1840 it was under Egyptian rule.

Early in the 19th century, Jews from North Africa settled in Haifa. In 1868 German Templars established Haifa ‘s German Colony and in 1879 European Jews settled in the city.

In 1918, it was taken from the Turks by the British. With the beginning of the British evacuation in 1948, the Hagana took over the city.

Throughout its history, Haifa has been a haven for religious minorities, some of which have established their centers there.

Haifa city map



The university, sitting on one of the Carmel hilltops at 480 meters above sea level, is distinguished by its modern design. Its landmark, the Eshkol Tower Tower, has an observation point with a breathtaking view of Haifa, the Carmel and Haifa Bay, and contains a gallery displaying works of artists who perished in the Holocaust. Tel. for visits


In the lobby of the main building is an art gallery of changing exhibits. For further information call: 04-8240660. In the passage by Bank Hapoalim, is an art gallery of changing exhibits by graduates of the university’s Faculty of Art. Open Sun. - Thurs. 8 am - 5 pm, Fri. 8 am - 1 pm, Sat. 10 am - 2 pm. In the multi-purpose building, the study gallery contains changing exhibits of artists.

Open Sun. - Thurs. 11 am - 3pm. Tel. 04-8240372

The Reuben & Edith Hecht Archaeological Museum contains a permanent exhibition of rare archaeological finds, and changing art & archaeological exhibits. Impressionist paintings and paintings by Jewish artists of the Paris school are exhibited in the art wing of the museum.

Open Sun. - Thurs. 10 am - 4 pm, Tues. 10 am - 7 pm, Fri. 10 am - 1pm, Sat. 10 am - 2 pm.

Tel. 04-8257773, 8240577.

Guided tours of the campus are conducted for groups. Tel. 04-8240097/8/9. Address: Abba Hushi Rd., Mt. Carmel, Haifa. Buses 24, 36, 37A, 38, 191, 192.


Situated in the Naveh Sha'anan neighborhood, it is an institute of technological studies, famous throughout the world for its scientific achievements. A film is screened in the Koller Center on the history of the Technion from its establishment until today.

Open Sun. - Thurs. 8 am - 3 pm. Koller Center-California, Naveh Sha'anan, Technion Campus

Buses 17,19, 31. Tel. 04-8320664 (Free admission)


Passengers on the Haifa cablecar will enjoy a breathtaking view of Mt. Carmel and the beach. Route - from the Bat Galim Promenade to Stella Maris. Bat Galim Promenade or Stella Maris,

Haifa. Open Summer Sun. - Thurs. 9 am - 11.45 pm, Winter Sun. - Thurs. 9 am - 6.45 pm, all year Fri. & Sat. 9am -11.45 pm.

Buses to Bat Galim Station - 3A, 41, 42.

Buses to Stella Maris Station - 25, 26, 27, 30, 31. Tel. 04-8335970


The Bahai religion, founded in Persia, preaches the unity of all religions and human brotherhood. Its prophet, The Bab, was executed in Persia in 1850, and his successor, Mirza Hussein Ali (also known as Baha‘u‘llah) established the religion, the name of which is derived from the first letters of his name. He is buried in the Bahai gardens in Acre, while the Bab‘s bones are interred in Haifa, which has become the religion‘s world center. The burial site is a magnificent gold-domed shrine. The shrine is surrounded by a garden which is open to the public. Open weekly 9 am - 12 pm. The gardens are open weekly from 9 am - 5 pm. Please come dressed modestly! Hatzionut Blvd., Haifa. Buses 22, 23, 25, 26. Tel. 04-8358358,


Church/Carmelite Monastery center. The Carmelite Order was established in the mid-I2th century by St. Bartholde. It is one of the first Christian orders to build its center in Israel. Next to the Stella Maris Church, the Carmelites occupy the monastery at the top of the Carmel. The Carmelites first arrived in Israel in 1192 following the third Crusade and ever since, their history in Israel has been intertwined with that of Haifa.

The monastery was built on the site, which, according to the Christian faith, was the burial place of the Cardinal of the Greek Catholic Church. It was later sanctified and its name changed to Elijah’s Cave, Elijah also being the patron of the Carmelites. At the center of the area is the church with its marble-covered walls and a golden dome covered with paintings depicting well-known scenes from the bible such as Elijah rising to heaven, David playing the harp, and others.

Open weekly 8.30 am - 1.30 pin, 3 pm - 6 pm. Stella Maris Rd., Haifa. Buses 25, 26, 27, 30, 31 (Free admission) Tel. Guest House: 04-8332084, Church: 04 -8337758,


The center of Elijah the Prophet’s activity, the cave at the foot of the Carmel became a pilgrimage center for members of the three faiths. Greek names amid a branched menora are drawn on the cave walls, carved by visitors and pilgrims - Jews, Christians and Muslims.

Open Winter, Sun. - Thurs. 8 am - 5 pm, July - Aug. 8 am - 6 pm, All year Fri. 8 am - 1 pm, Sat, closed. 230 Allenby, Haifa. Buses 3, 5, 43, 45. Tel. 04-852 7430.



· The Haifa Municipal Theater 50 Pevzner.

Buses 8, 21, 23, 24, 28, 37, 42. Box Office Tel. 04-8620670,

· Auditorium 138 Hanassi Blvd. Buses 21, 22, 23, 28, 37, Carmelite Tel. 04-8380013

· Cinematheque 142 Hanassi Blvd. Buses 21, 22, 23, 28, 37, Carmelite. Tel. 04-8383424

· The Haifa Symphony Orchestra 50 Pevzner. Tel. 04-8620741

· Tzavta Club 124 Hanassi Blvd. Tel. 04-8382104

· Rothschild House 142 Hanassi Blvd. Tel. 04-8380489


· Haifa Childrens Theater Festival-Passover

· International Blues Festival At Haifa port ‘hangars"in the summer

· The Film and Outdoor Events Festival Cinematheque and cinemas in the city- Succot

· Shukran - Wadi Nisnes - Wadi Nisnes Yohanan Hakadosh Pedestrian Mall in Wadi Nisnes. Focus of the Jewish - Arab Co-existence- December

· Youth Village-August, end of summer just before the beginning of the school year

· Summer Celebrations and Beach Fun- in many areas of Haifa during the summer

· Acre Avant-garde Theater Festival- Succot

· Karmiel Folkdance Festival-July

· Food Festival- Wadi Salib-Succot


· Horev Center In Ahuza Center, 15 Horev. Buses 12, 21, 22, 23, 24, 28, 68. Tel. 04-8246160/4

· Panorama Center In Central Carmel, 109 Hanassi Blvd. Buses, 21, 22, 23, 28, 31,37, Carmelite. Tel. 04-83 75011

· Haneviim Tower In the heart of the Hadar Hacarmel neighborhood. 2 Hun. Buses 12, 21, 28, 37, Carmelite. Tel. 04-867833 7

· Lev Hamifratz 55 Hahistadrut Blvd., Haifa Bay. Buses 51, 52, 58, 59, 62, 63, 64, 251. Tel. 04-8416090


The Haifa Tourism & Leisure Association

Open Sun. - Thu rs. 8 am - 6pm, Fri. 8, am - 1 pm. 106 Hanassi Blvd. Tel. 04-8374010

Tourist Information, Central Egged Station lower level. Open Sun. - Thurs. 9.30 am - 5 pm, Fri. 9.30 am - 2 pm, Tel. 04-8512208

Haifa, 18 Herzl (Beit Hakranot) Open Sun. - Thurs. 8.30 am - 5 pm, Fri. 8.30 am -1 pm, Tel. 04-8666521/2, Fax 04-8622075



Acre is one of the most ancient cities in the world. Its major sights are the underground Crusader city, Knights’ Halls, the ancient port, the many museums, the Aljazar Mosque, the Bahai Shrine and Gardens are on the Acre-Nahariya Highway, after the exit from Acre to Nahariya.

Bahai Shrine Open Sun., Mon., Fri., Sat. 9 am - 12 pm.

Bahai Gardens Open daily 9 am - 4 pm. Tel. 04-9812 763

Crusaders City and Knights Halls

Open Sun. - Thu rs., 8.30 am - 5 pm, Fri. 8.30 am - 2pm, Sat. 9 am - 5pm. Eljazar St.

Tourist information Tel. 04-9911764. Buses 251, 271, 272 from Haifa.


The Carmel Park, set out on 20,000 acres, is sacred to Jews, Christians, Muslems, and Druze. It has lush forests, magnificent vistas, colorful nature reserves, churches and monasteries, caves used by prehistoric man, ruins of Canaanite, Jewish, Samaritan settlements, and flourishing modern Jewish and Druze towns and villages. At the site are information stations, picnic grounds, paved roads, footpaths, and parking lots. Buses 21, 24, 28, 37.

Tel. 04-8228983, 8231452


At the top of the Carmel lie the villages Usfiya and Daliat al Carmel. At the center of Daliat al Cannel there is a colorful market which is open every day except Friday. Bus 192, schedule: 1 pm, 2.05 pm & 3.15 pm


Located on the western slopes of Mt. Carmel, Em Hod is a picturesque artist’s colony, it is home to the Janco-Dada, Gallery where exhibitions of the artist’s works are displayed and seminars are conducted. From time to time concerts and performances are held in the local amphitheater.

Janco-Dada Museum, Tel. 04-9842350 Open Sun. - Thurs. 9.30 am - 5 pm, Fri. 9.30 am - 4 pm, Sat. 9.30 am - 5 pm


Nahal Hame’arot is situated 3 km south of Ein Harod near Kibbutz Ein Carmel. A tour of the site is suitable for the whole family and includes a visit to the caves where you can see the life of prehistoric man recreated through an audiovisual presentation, a film, visitor’s participation, and reconstruction of the tools and wares used by prehistoric man.

Open Sun. - Thu rs., Sat. 8 am - 4 pm, Fri. & holiday eves 8 am - 1 pm Group tours in Hebrew and English by appointment. Buses 202, 921, near Fin Carmel. Tel. 04-9841750


A cliffhead, on the coast of the western Galilee, at the Israel-Lebanon border. At the foot of the cliff are grottoes that give the site its Arabic name - Ras A-Nakura. In ancient times this was one of the most important roads in the region - the road between Acre and Tyre. In 333 B.C.E., Alexander the Great passed through here, as did Antiochus in 167 B.C.E., and the British during the two World Wars. After World War II a Haifa-Beirut railroad line was laid at the foot of the cliff During the War of Independence, the Palmach blew up the Railroad Bridge. At the site today there is a cable car which descends to the grottoes. Open Apr. - June 8.30 am - 6pm, July - August 8.30 am - 11 pm,

Sept. 8.30 am - 6 pm, Oct. - Mar. 8.30 am - 4 pm

Tel. 04-98571 09, 1 -800-22-9494


One of the five settlements of the First Aliyah, established in 1881. On the main street old buildings with tiled roofs and farm yards have been preserved. The first winery upon which the settlement based its economy is still in use. The Aaronsohn family house is also still standing. It served as the center of Nili," the pro-British Jewish espionage group during World War I.

Visitors Center Open Sun. - Thurs. 8.30 am - 1 pm. Fri. 8.30 am - 12 pm 12 Hameyasdim St. (Yad Hameyasdim), Zichron Yaacov Tel. 06-6398892

The Winecehlar Open Sun. - Thurs. 9 am - 3 pm, Fri. 9 am- 12 pm. Derech Hayayin st. Tel. 06-6391241

Aaronsohn House Open Sun., Mon., Wed., Thurs. 8.30 am - 2 pm, Tues. 8.30 am - 4pm, Fri. 9 am - 12 pm. 40 Hameyasdim St. Tel. 06-6390120 Entrance fee. Bus 202